From the spring of 2005 when
Melissa Spainís vision of an endowment for women
captured the attention and financial support of
June Ficklen to the assemblage of the first
Advisory Board of eight community leaders, Women
for Women has found enthusiastic support
wherever women have gathered to hear about its
mission and purpose.
- Women for Women began with a generous
donation from June Ficklen.
- Advisory board of eight community leaders
began promoting Women for Women's
- Two events were held that year. A Kick-Off
Garden Luncheon and a Holiday Brunch.
- The first Power of the Purse Luncheon was
held with Letitia Baldridge, Social Secretary
to the Kennedy White House, as the speaker.
220 people attended the event.
- The Founding Membership opportunity
was announced in December at the annual
- Membership grew from 28 members
to nearly 150 with 32 of them founding
- Wonder Woman herself, Linda Carter, was the guest speaker at the 2007 Power of the Purse Luncheon where 450 Women attended and more than $60,000 was raised.
- The Founding membership opportunity closed with an amazing 50 members.
- Women for Women distributed its first grants totaling $18,000 to nine Pitt County agencies benefiting women and girls.
- The First Champions Circle was created in the fall of 2007 and five women pledged to collectively match up to $10,000 in new membership revenue.
- Membership increased to 345 and added $29,150 to the endowment fund.
- At the Annual Christmas Brunch members were asked to donate a new article of clothing and a new giving opportunity was embraced by the organization.
- The Third Annual Power of the Purse Luncheon was a huge success. More than 840 people attended the event with featured speaker Naomi Judd.
- Grant distributions rose to $48,000 in support of 14 local organizations.
- The fall membership drive was supported by the 2008 Champions Circle and 85 new members joined.
- At the Holiday Brunch women generously donated articles of clothing in what has become another annual tradition.
- The first Power of the Purse Grand Presenting Sponsor, Dr. Mary Raab, was recognized.
- Former Co-Anchor of Good Morning America, Joan Lunden spoke at the 4th Annual Power of the Purse Luncheon. More than 750 women attended the event.
- In 2009 Women for Women grants touched 12 organizations in Pitt County with a record distribution of $60,000.
- The fall membership drive was our most successful ever with the assistance of our 2009 Champions Circle, Women for Women membership grew to include 400 members.
- Women for Women members generously donated girls clothing at the Annual Christmas Brunch.
- Tamara W. Chitwood was presented as the 2010 Power of the Purse Grand Presenting Sponsor.
- The Fifth Annual Power of the Purse Luncheon featured speaker, Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York. It was the largest event ever for the organization with a record breaking1,500 people in attendance.
- Grant distribution in 2010 benefited 16 organizations with a total contribution of $75,000!
- Membership grew to 483 members and thanks to the 2010 Champions Circle members the endowment grew by more than $48,000.
- The 2011 Grand Presenting Sponsor announcement was a surprise this year, as Dr. Robert Capps and family, recognized Jane Harris Capps. Jane has been a past Advisory Committee member and annual luncheon chair for the power of the purse luncheon.
- Lee Woodruff, New York Times Bestselling Author, mother of four, and wife of Bob Woodruff, past co-anchor of ABC's World News Tonight, was the Power of the Purse Speaker. Lee delivered a heartfelt message about resilience and overcoming obstacles with a smile as she told the audience about Bob's injury in Iraq and how it changed their family forever.
- 15 well-deserving local organizations were presented grants, which totaled $75,000. This brings the Grand Total of grants distributed by Women for Women to more than $250,000!
- Much to her surprise, Tracey Fodor Smith was announced as the 2012 Grand Presenting Sponsor. A fitting honor for someone who has been supporting the organization for several years.
Thank you for your interest in Women for Women. If you would like to make a donation to the organization, please make your check out to Women for Women and mail to the address noted below.